Schuette running mate's home burned down in crème brûlée accident

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:28 am

It has been reported that the source of the fire that destroyed the two-story home of Bill Schuette's gubernatorial running mate Lisa Posthumus Lyons was a kitchen torch being used by one of the candidate's children.

During a press conference on Monday, Posthumus Lyons discussed the details of the fire that has displaced the family of six less than two months before the November election. Apparently on Sept. 9, one of Posthumus Lyons' four children was in the Alto home's attached garage practicing crème brûlée designs on a piece of cardboard with a kitchen torch.
Although the piece of cardboard was not on fire when it was thrown in the garbage, a fire did start and the windy September day made for ripe conditions that caused the fire to spread very quickly. By the time Bowne Township firefighters reached the scene, the fire has already engulfed the family home, resulting in a total loss that displaced the family of six.

According to The Grand Rapids Press, Posthumus Lyons remains optimistic. "We have nothing, but my family and I have everything," she said. "We were able to get out of the house safe and secure, and this community, family, friends, complete strangers — the outpouring of love and support and assistance has been more overwhelming than actually having to watch my house burn to the ground."

The age of the child that started the fire has not been reported, nor whether the child was being supervised while the kitchen torch was being used.

Stay on top of Detroit news and views. Sign up for our weekly issue newsletter delivered each Wednesday.