See our Best of Detroit 2020 winners.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Man who lives at address of Dearborn Heights quadruple homicide has prior second-degree murder conviction

Posted By on Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 11:50 AM

patch.jpg

A man who public records show lives at the location of a quadruple homicide in Dearborn Heights has previously served time in prison for second-degree murder.

The man was sentenced to 15 years in prison on March 5, 1992 after pleading no contest to a charge of second-degree murder, according to Wayne County Circuit Court records.

Police received a call of shots fired at about 1:15 a.m. Wednesday at a home on Dearborn Heights’ south side. When officers arrived, the suspect in the killings told police he shot the members of his family who were inside the home, according to Dearborn Heights Police Capt. Michael Petri. The man made the 911 call himself, Petri says.

Police have not yet named the suspect who is in custody, but said he is the biological father of the two youngest victims.

The victims are two girls ages 4 and 6, a 17-year-old, and a 19-year-old. The suspect’s wife is hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries, Petri says.

The suspect is expected to be arraigned within a day, Petri says, and the case remains under investigation.

“In going back and trying to stretch my memory in 30 years of law enforcement, I can’t remember a crime of this magnitude in Dearborn Heights,” Petri says.

Police were tight-lipped about details of the crime at a Wednesday press conference, but the Detroit Free Press reports that the two younger victims were the man’s biological children and the two older victims were his stepchildren.

The 4- and 7-year-old victims were asphyxiated in a car by carbon monoxide before being taken inside and left in their beds, according to the Free Press. The newspaper reported that the man’s stepchildren were shot and killed and found in the home’s basement, and his wife was slashed and shot.

The man’s wife filed for divorce in August, according to the Free Press.

Autopsies on all four victims will be conducted by the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office.


Dearborn Heights Mayor Dan Paletko says the killings are unprecedented in the city.

“It’s devastating for the community,” Paletko says. “This is not something that normally happens in Dearborn Heights.”

Tags: , ,

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.

Read the Digital Print Issue

October 28, 2020

View more issues

Newsletters

Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Best Things to Do In Detroit