Bacteria is everywhere and it's inevitable (and usually not deadly), but when those microorganisms begin to eat away at flesh, it causes panic.
The boy's mother told Fox 2 that he'd been complaining that his legs were hurting, and "there was a really tight feeling and his knees were kind of puffy."
He also developed a greenish-colored rash on the soles of his feet and his mother, Charmaine Norman, rushed him to Detroit Children's Hospital of Michigan.
Medical personnel said they don't know how he contracted the bacteria, though it could have been through a small cut. In order to prevent the bacteria from spreading to the rest of his body, doctors needed to amputate the child's left leg.
“That's the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life today: sign the papers to get his left leg amputated," Dakarai’s father told Fox 2 Detroit.
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at [email protected].
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Detroit Metro Times Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the Metro Times Press Club for as little as $5 a month.
Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.