Dave Buick Italy Records honcho, sometime Go man, Young Soul Rebel at heart and lucky hubby to sightly Fonda frontwoman Julie Benjamin is, beginning this weekend, the new co-anchor of MT-approved radio show Radio Fever, the arch and droll local-jams-supporting broadcast heard Saturday nights on WKRK 97.1-FM. Yep, Buicks on-air ass is now seated in Chris Handysides old roller chair, next to ongoing show host-foil the Wolf (aka Greg Siemasz). Is Handyside himself a frequent MT contributor bummed to put his radio persona, Sassy, to rest? Nah. The fact of the matter is that despite the brave fronts of storm chasing, deep sea exploration and polar bear chasing Im leaving the show for purely personal, selfish reasons to indulge my domesticity, he says. The Blizzards at Dairy Queen dont order themselves, you know. Besides, Greg and I have both known Dave for a long time and he knows his shit when it comes to music. It helps that he has an awesome on-air laugh and possesses an intimate knowledge of 80s pop culture. So whats Buicks new radio nom-de-plume? Pancakes. Herere Pancakes monomanias of the week:
5. Swing over and over: Golfing. Went for my first time the other day, it was fun. I got a 70 on nine holes and I got to use [Fred] Sonic Smiths old sticks.
4. Riffin tube: Television Personalities the band and also a lot of the ones on TV.
3. Riffin shoes: The Minutemen and D. Boons weird shoes We Jam Econo.
2. What city is this? Hanging by the pool and swimming with Meryl James.
1. Cheap date: Flank steaks and $3 wine.
Radio Fever airs Saturday nights from 8 to 11 p.m. on WKRK, 97.1 FM.Send comments to [email protected]