After three years and nearly 50 underground CDRs, Royal Oak-based noise troopers Red China have finally produced their first official album, Imprecision...Impregnio... Impossumal! Threshing together the trio's heroes (Melvins, Eno, Melt Banana) with a heavy helping of their own skewed humor, Impregnio makes you feel all weird in your gut, then makes you love the feeling. Here Red China gushes monomania-style:
5. Scott Walker: We could listen to Scott 2, 3 and 4 over and over, till drool formed at the corners of our mouths. And Tilt from '95, when we want to be scared existentially shitless. New Walker record in May! On 4AD! Hoorah!
4. Fucked-up rickety rickshaw drum sets: That's what ours was for the longest time and we loved it. The kind of drum set that sounds like an old Model-T jalopy driven by David Byrne, jerking and lurching down the avenue.
3. Repetition: Le Fly Pan Am. Repetition. Repetition. Repetition. Repetition. Repetition.
2. Potsy: It's like a giant percussive-melodic thing which we trash-picked and made out of some kids' old jungle-gym about a year ago. Potsy just made its debut live appearance last week. We played him with ping-pong paddles, and when those were reduced to splinters we had a swordfight with his splintered body parts.
1. Shooby Division: One of these days we're gonna start a side project in which we do Joy Division songs in the style of scatman Shooby "Human Horn" Taylor. Somebody has to.
Red China celebrates Impregnio's release on Tuesday, April 4, at the Lager House, 1254 Michigan Ave., Detroit; 313-961-4668, with Wildcatting and more.Send comments to [email protected]