See our Best of Detroit 2020 winners.

DEMF spin cycle 

Nothing is simple regarding the event formerly known as the Detroit Electronic Music Festival. Detroit DJ Carl Craig says he’s celebrating a victory in his case against former DEMF producer Carol Marvin; Marvin’s attorney, Anthony DeLuca, says the jury decision last week is “absolutely” a victory for Marvin.

Marvin fired Craig on the eve of DEMF II in 2001. Craig sued Marvin for wrongful termination and defamation of character, and sought $40,000 still remaining in his three-year contract, plus expenses and damages. Last week, a jury ordered Marvin to pay Craig nearly $14,000 for money owed him from DEMF 2000 and 2001. The defamation claim was thrown out; the jury failed to award him damages or payment for DEMF 2002, with which he was not involved.

From a hotel room in Belgrade, Serbia, where Craig is on tour, he says the court decision gives him closure. “I feel happy that it’s over,” he says.

For much of the artistic world, Craig was the festival, and without him, they wanted no part of it. This year, the city granted the festival to DJ Derrick May, who dubbed the event Movement: Detroit’s Electronic Music Festival, renamed because of copyright concerns. Though Craig’s battle is over, DEMF financial questions remain. Festival workers including Tim Price are still waiting for money they claim they are owed from DEMF I, II and III. Price, a manager for DJ Richie Hawtin, sued for $3,000 plus interest for the inaugural event, for which he worked as visual director.

With Marvin (an experienced sponsor-getter) out of the picture, and May getting a late start on planning, this year’s festival finances were sparse. May and his family coughed up $200,000 to pay bare-minimum expenses. At the end of the day, nary an artist nor festival worker was paid. Ah, the things we do for the love of music, no? The good news for taxpayers, however, is that while the city forked out nearly $2 million to cover the costs of DEMF I, II and III, not a dime of tax money was spent this year. Mayoral spokesman Jamaine Dickens tells News Hits that the city considered Movement a “great success.” May Inc. will get the festival for another two years. How much money — if any — the city will pitch in is currently under negotiation, Dickens says.

Send comments to letters@metrotimes.com

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.

Read the Digital Print Issue

October 21, 2020

View more issues

Newsletters

Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Best Things to Do In Detroit