See our Best of Detroit 2020 winners.

Court and sparks 

You know the uptight and uncomfortable feeling that permeates an office when co-workers are having a dispute? Sure you do. Now imagine what it must be like when an employee sues her boss and others in federal court. That's the situation over at the Third Judicial Circuit Court of Michigan, where Deputy Court Administrator Kelli D. Moore has filed a sexual harassment suit against her boss, Bernard J. Kost. Also named are former Chief Judge Mary Beth Kelly and current Chief Judge William J. Giovan, who are accused of allowing the harassment to continue.

The suit claims that "from December 2005 to present, Executive Court Administrator Kost has been, and is, sexually fixated on Plaintiff Moore, sexually harassing her and creating a sexually hostile environment, through his unwelcome, personal statements and acts ..." The list of alleged incidents — from claims of inappropriate gifts, comments and touching, to pressure to attend social functions and out-of-town events — fills pages and pages of the lawsuit. Kost is also accused of retaliating against Moore when she complained, first to officials at the Wayne County court, and then to the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The feds, in March, issued Moore what's known as a "right to sue" letter. Given that green light, Moore's attorney, Alice B. Jennings, filed suit in Detroit's U.S. District Court earlier this month.

Calls to Kost and Giovan were not returned. We did talk with Elizabeth Hardy, who told us she was just retained by Kost on Monday, and was not yet familiar enough with the case to comment. As for the court, it looks like it will be represented by state Attorney General Mike Cox's office. Meanwhile, Cynthia Sherburn, in-house counsel for the court, says her office is investigating the matter.

This could get interesting.

News Hits is edited by Curt Guyette. Contact him at 313-202-8004 or NewsHits@metrotimes.com

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.

Read the Digital Print Issue

October 14, 2020

View more issues

Newsletters

Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Best Things to Do In Detroit