See our Best of Detroit 2020 winners.

Blackstone: A new chapter? 

Recent drama at the Cass Corridor’s Blackstone Hotel finally may be dying down.

The decrepit building’s new owner, Scott Lowell, settled with 16 residents as their lawsuit against him headed to court last week. Lowell agreed to give residents until Dec. 1 to leave the historic hangout for pimps, hookers and folks who are down on their luck. After that, he will act to evict them. He also agreed to pay a total of $2,000 in damages, which comes to $125 per resident who sued.

Through their lawyer from the Legal Aid and Defender Association the residents had claimed that Lowell interfered with their tenancy by not giving proper notice to vacate the building. Originally, he gave them a little more than a day, but then extended the get-out date by 30 days. Residents also accused him of turning off the heat and hot water, though Lowell contends he never turned off the utilities and only shut down the boiler because it was a safety hazard.

“I absolutely, categorically refute and deny all the charges,” says Lowell, who expressed relief that the case is over.

His lawyer, Sean Kowalski, says considering he makes $250 an hour to represent Lowell, “it made financial sense” to settle. “Still, our continued fear, and it still is, is that someone is going to get hurt in that building. And then we’re going to have real problems.”

The lawyer for the Blackstone residents, Robert Day, says Lowell has already paid out the settlement money. Day hopes the sum helps people with the move. The housing market for folks who can only afford $300 monthly rent, which is what people paid at the Blackstone, is virtually nonexistent. In addition, Day says the waiting list for public housing is so long officials aren’t even taking applications. “I think it’s a good thing that they got enough time to make some plans and move with some dignity,” Day says of the residents. “There’s such a limited number of options for people in this situation. Housing for real poor folks just isn’t there.”

Lisa M. Collins contributed to News Hits, which is edited by Curt Guyette. He can be reached at 313-202-8004 or cguyette@metrotimes.com

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Detroit Metro Times. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Detroit Metro Times, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at letters@metrotimes.com.

Detroit Metro Times works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Detroit and beyond.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Detroit's true free press free.

Read the Digital Print Issue

October 21, 2020

View more issues

Newsletters

Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Best Things to Do In Detroit