Fire at PJ’s Lager House, no people hurt

There was a fire in an upstairs apartment at PJ’s Lager House on Monday evening. No people were hurt, although three cats belonging to the tenants died after CPR.

The fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. during a show featuring Zombie Jesus & the Chocolate Sunshine Band, Curtin, and Jeffrey Jablonsky.

"We just smelled smoke and someone yelled everyone has to get out," 33-year-old Nick Leu told MLive.

On the Lager House Facebook page in the early hours of the morning, a post said, “We at PJ's lager House would like to thank everyone for their care and concern. Also, a very big THANK YOU to all who stepped up to do what they could this evening. The fire was contained to the upstairs but due to water damage in the bar, we will be closed until it can be assessed. Everyone is safe and we will keep you updated.”

A later update read, “Update from the big boss. Since there was no damage to the stage side of the bar, the show will go on tomorrow! You may have to enter through the back door and there may not be a large selection of booze but we are going to rock and roll!”

That sounds like good news for those attending the International Pop Overthrow festival this Thursday through Saturday. See the full bill here. Bands like the Paper Sound, Romeo Flynns, Blaire Alise & the Bombshells, and the Dives will be performing over the weekend, with a bit of luck.

In addition, there’s going to be a benefit for Brando and Tatiana, who were living in the upstairs apartment, at Donovan’s Pub.

There’s also an online campaign to raise money to get the couple back on their feet.