Bacteria is everywhere and it's inevitable (and usually not deadly), but when those microorganisms begin to eat away at flesh, it causes panic.
This is the case with what happened to week ago to Dakarai Moore Jr. who contracted Necrotizing Fasciitis, a bacteria that kills the skin cells and tissue of a human body and can be fatal if not treated properly.
The boy's mother told Fox 2 that he'd been complaining that his legs were hurting, and "there was a really tight feeling and his knees were kind of puffy."
He also developed a greenish-colored rash on the soles of his feet and his mother, Charmaine Norman, rushed him to Detroit Children's Hospital of Michigan.
Medical personnel said they don't know how he contracted the bacteria, though it could have been through a small cut. In order to prevent the bacteria from spreading to the rest of his body, doctors needed to amputate the child's left leg.
“That's the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life today: sign the papers to get his left leg amputated," Dakarai’s father told Fox 2 Detroit.
Over the past few days, the news has updated saying that Dakarai’s case of Necrotizing Fasciitis has been tamed, but it isn’t the end of the issue for this family. The medical bills are sky-high for this family, and they proceed by creating a fund to help pay for these expenses.