Born in the aftermath of a failed romance to a Montreal woman, Of Montreal is the vehicle for Athens, Ga., native Kevin Barnes unclenched sense of melody and lyrical flights of fancy. The band emerged from the Elephant 6 collective (Apples in Stereo, Olivia Tremor Control) in the late 90s and is the most enduring act from that loose coterie of pals. Where many of his peers oozed similarly minded neo-psychedelia before running out of gas, Barnes writing continued to improve, largely inspired by Magical Mystery Tours shimmer, Pet Sounds harmonic warmth and the psych-folk madhouse of Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd. In 2003, band member changes and the demise of his label, Kindercore, energized him two of his best releases ever ensued, 2004s Satanic Panic in the Attic and this years wonderful The Sundlandic Twins. We arent sure if Kevin Barnes was feeling shitty when we asked for this weeks monomanias, but he certainly was preoccupied with brown matter. Then again maybe thats just his uncontrollable whimsy.
5. The Cleveland Browns: Ive always been a big Browns fan, and Im excited for the season to begin.
4. Larry Brown: Ive also a big Pistons fan and Im bummed hes not going to be coaching there next year.
3. Charlie Brown: I really like Charles Schulz and hes kind of an inspiration.
2. Brown Mark: He was a guitar player in Princes band in the 80s. I thought he was really cool. Hes in the 1999 video wearing his headband with the Japanese red sun on it.
1. Chad Brown: Just to come full circle, back to football.
Of Montreal appears Wednesday, Aug. 31, at the Blind Pig (208 S. First, Ann Arbor; 734-996-8555).Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.